Senin, 01 Desember 2008

Posting # 1: Technology Learning

19.55 / 7 comments





A task was given to us from PTK class. Miss Vidya told us to introduce e-mail and blogging technology to somebody who hasn’t known anything about such technology. After we discussed it, we considered to pick Stephanie’s mom as the lucky one!! So, I (Stephanie) was the one in charge to teach my mom how to adopt this kind of technology. Here’s my teaching diary:

Tuesday, 25th of November 2008, 7 pm

Right after I got home from PTK class, I realized that I’ve got no much time left to get all of the work done. So I just told my mom to sit with me and listen for all of my explanation about e-mail. I opened Yahoo website, and told her:
That yahoo is a website that provides us with e-mail technology.

E-mail is a communication based on computer. For example, if I were in Australia and you were in Indonesia, e-mail is a cheap way to get in touch with each other.

E-mail is similar with mail. But the difference is mail is the way to get in touch via air mail ( post ), while e-mail is letter writing via internet.

To provide you with this e-mail technology, 1st thing you have to do is typing www.yahoo.com on the address bar ( I told her where it is, because she didn’t know a thing about operating computer ) then you have to register to yahoo by clicking sign up and a form of registration will appear.

Fill up the form ( I got to guide her one by one because the form is in English and she didn’t understand ). P.S : she got a trouble verifying the strange word in the dialog box, and we have to type the password and verify again. So I helped her this time. F.Y.I : my mom now has e-mail address: innewu@yahoo.co.id ( I told her to use yahoo Indonesia because it will be much easier for her to operate it using Bahasa. I told her how to make @ appear by pushing shift and 2 in the same time.

Then her mail was DONE!! That was for the day, it was pretty tough though.

Saturday, 29th of November 2008, 11 pm

I taught my mom how to compose and check e-mail. First, I told her to take notes of everything because she forgets a lot. I told her to:

Sign in!, you don’t need to click sign up anymore ( because you already have an e-mail account, Don’t u? and she said yes )

Enter your yahoo id, I reminded her about her ID ( because she forgot and now she has taken notes ), and told her to fill the password.

There was a welcome lines read Welcome, InneWu. There was one e-mail unread and she was so excited. She thought that she was that popular that her friend has sent an e-mail right after she made one. But I let her down by telling “No, it’s a welcome mail from Yahoo!” then she said “ Oalah, bujuk-bujukan tok ta?” LOL

Then, I taught her how to compose an e-mail. Click ‘TULIS’ , and a dialog box appeared. I told her to fill ‘KEPADA’ with my e-mail address: stephaniewiradjaja@yahoo.com, fill the ‘TOPIK’, write the message and click ‘KIRIM’

Then, I commanded my mom to repeat from the 1st step ( writing the yahoo address ) and she did it slowly but finally successful.

Sunday,30th of November, 9 am

I commanded my mom to repeat last night’s lesson and she finally showed a progress, then I taught her about blogging.

Blog is a way to post all of our thoughts, activities or maybe promote commodities. It’s different from e-mail. People can leave comments on our post, then I showed her my blog to make her understand easier.

Then, I guided my mom to register on Blogspot. I told her that blogspot is a website ( Thank God she already knew what website is ), like Yahoo. But Blogspot provides us with blogging activities. One term to make blog is you ought to have e-mail account at the first place. And REGISTER! ( her blog is makeupboxinnewu.blogspot.com )

When the blog account was ready, I taught my mom how to set the profile and postings. By clicking ‘TAMBAH ENTRI’ and write ‘JUDUL’ and write the entry. She already wrote her 1st posting ( which is to promote her makeup work ). Then I guide her step by step to upload photos into the posting that she has written. DONE!

MY COMMENT:

Teaching my mom was a very hard thing to do and needs high level of patience since she knew nothing @ all about e-mail and blog. Yeah, she already heard about e-mail but she didn’t know what exactly it is and how it works. It was so difficult especially when she didn’t know how to type and how to place the cursor onto the right place ( maybe it was because we use laptop without mouse ). I had to teach her what ENTER, CAPS LOCK, and BACKSPACE are. But she shown me a great interest about blogging because she can promote her work which is great.

P.S: Please believe that my mom wasn't aware of internet technology. Maybe it's hard to believe that she is my mom ( she looks young ), but she is. Dan dia gaptek sekali. For confirmation, call my mom ( 03160256359 )

Label:

Free Music
Free Music
Free Music